Every year, we throw away 1.3 billion tons of edible food. If food waste were a country, it would be the third largest one with additional impacts being wasted energy, water and land used to produce the food as well as what’s used for processing packaging and transport.
The hopeful news—each one of us can help to save energy and reduce food waster where it happens most—in our homes:
1) Make a list: Avoid buying unnecessary items. Think about how many people you need to feed so you don’t overbuy. Start with what’s in the fridge before you shop for creative meal ideas. Try not to buy too much on the fly in grocery store aisles.
2) Get organized: Store things in the right compartments to preserve freshness. Vegetables need humidity and low temperatures so Liebherr’s BioFresh compartments minimize temperature fluctuations and extend the shelf life of fruits
vegetables, meats and dairy.
3) Trust your senses: look, smell, and taste before throwing away food. A best-before-date is a preferable date to consume the food at its best condition but even past the date, most food is still safe.
4) Prep ahead: Keep containers with pre-cooked ingredients. Pick two proteins, one or two grains, and a vegetable medley and incorporate it into meals.
5) Freeze ingredients: Well stored, frozen foods maintain their nutrients. Plus, frozen fruits and vegetables are the perfect way of making your smoothies and shakes healthier and delicious.
6) Discuss food waste at home: Teach children about the journey the food takes to get to their table as well as composting.
And, last, but certainly not least, take a look at what your fridge is doing for you and your family.
Older fridges use 33% more energy than newer models. Today, thanks to European manufacturers like Liebherr, state-of-the art features help reduce food waste and preserve nutrients.
Along with amazing energy efficiency Liebherr features I love include: Biofresh Open Stage Drawers showcasing food at a glance and Hydrobreeze, a cold mist that covers fruit and vegetables like a protective balm to ensure crisp freshness and improve structure—special wow effects that are good for our health and the planet.
For over 15 years, Mark Eglington has been passionate about European-manufactured best-in-class appliances. By day, he is the President of Canadian-owned Euro-Line Appliances; by night he’s perfecting his cooking skills.